I didn't like the plain silver head badge that came with the bike. So I found a classic colorful one on eBay to replace it with. Used 3M automotive trim tape to apply it.
The black cable housings and the bare cable running across the top tube looked out of place. Found some nice red metallic cable housings. And for the brake cable I found a red teflon coated cable that was just meant for my bike. Then I topped it off with these Jagwire ferrules (or end caps) to complete the job.
(Oh my, are these no longer available in red?!)
Now, why did I get a 7-speed with only the rear derailleur, instead of a 15 or more speed? Any way to add a front shift?
Let's see now, the seat post is hydraulic but it really doesn't seem to do much for the bum!
How about replacing it with a regular post, but in red? And replacing the clamp as well? While I'm at it, continue the red theme- axle skewer, barrel adjusters, brake noodles, even jockey wheels! Red chain?
What about a cycling computer to track my rides?
You might notice in the pictures below, the addition of a saddle bag. I bought it at a local bike store. It came with an emergency rain poncho, and there's plenty of space for my toolkit, gloves, glasses and whatever.
I found these RockBros polarized cycling glasses while browsing online. I like that it has interchangeable lenses (so far have only used the polarized sunglasses) along with the hard case to keep everything together. I kept watching the auction site and finally got them at a really low price as the only bidder. I bought them primarily for the price, not reputation. But now after using them for a couple years they are great! I definitely recommend them!
The case and spare lenses stay at home, and there's enough space in my saddle bag to stick the glasses in.
Replacing the seat post and clamp was pretty straight forward. Just measure the post for proper diameter and length. I didn't get a specific brand, just something red and reasonably priced on that auction site.
Same with the quick release axle skewer.
(I should have bought a pair, the rear is still the original chrome!) Maybe I'll leave it. On the front, the chrome stood out. Not so much in the back!
For the brake lever adjuster, I went with this Dia-Compe M7 in anodized red. Others didn't look as good, and the price at Pork Chop BMX was pretty decent!
While I was redoing the cables I put on red brake noodles and boots. But before I installed the front, I slid a clear plastic tube over to protect the fender.
The original handlebar wasn't comfortable for me either. So my bike shop was able to order a more old school style handlebar. This was more like the style I remember from my old Raleigh!
I also started browsing ebay for Raleigh fenders. The chrome fenders were a bit out of place for me, and the alignment of the rear fender was a bit goofy.
I found a set in red for a decent price. I was pleased with their condition. The old 60's or 70's red is a bit lighter than my new frame, but close enough for my taste.
The white on the rear fender was in rough shape, but I can mask and respray it. There were several chips in the paint, so I took the fender to the auto parts store and found a close match.
That odd bit on the top of the rear fender, that's a mounting clip that is crimped on. I had to remove it since it's at the wrong position for my bike. I painted that piece to blend in.
I also had to find different fender braces or stays. I was able to find some that matched the size and shape of my fenders, and an appropriate length for my bike.
To help prevent rust, I glued a piece of inner tube with contact cement to the end of the braces to cushion against the fender. I also painted the screw head attaching the fender.